Spotify Canvas is not a new feature but it’s something that many artists aren’t utilizing! The feature allows you to upload 3-8 second looping videos for each of your tracks on Spotify. This way of visual branding brings your listeners deeper into connecting with the music.
High-quality Spotify Canvases have shown to increase:
- track shares by an average of 145%
- playlist adds by 20%
- streams by 5%
- and profile visits by 9%
Spotify offers helpful suggestions for creating Canvas videos:
- Avoid footage with talking, rapping, or singing. Your looped video will not be synced to the music, so any mouth movements will be distracting.
- No frenetic cuts or flashing effects. The idea is to draw someone in, not give them a stroke.
- Keep the action centered. Player controls may appear over the lower half of the screen, so the most important stuff should be in the center or slightly higher.
- Spotify Canvas is a vertical video format. You have to upload a video with a 9:16 aspect ratio. You can’t edit the framing within Spotify for Artists.
- No artist, track, or album names. Those things are already viewable to listeners.
- Tell a story. Short-form video platforms like Instagram Reels and TikTok show that you can deliver a powerful punch in a matter of seconds.
- Tell a bigger story. Upload Canvases for each song on an album that speak to one another or progress along a timeline.
- Amplify your brand consistency. Make your Canvases fit in with your other visuals on Spotify, such as the profile picture and header image.
- Switch your Canvases whenever. You can change a song’s Canvas any time, so think of ways to make it interactive and dynamic.
- Experiment with different kinds of loops. Spotify defines them as:
- The Continuous Loop – “has the satisfying feel of a seamless looping GIF with no clear beginning or end.”
- The Hard Cut loop – “has clear edit points that can be artfully disguised.”
- The Rebound – “plays your clip forward and then reverses it.”
Spotify Canvas videos also need specific dimensions:
- 9:16 ratio (vertical)
- At least 720px tall
- An MP4 or JPEG file
- 3s to 8s long (MP4 only)
Find out more about Spotify Canvas here.