NF’s new album ‘Therapy Session’ makes impressive debut on Billboard
Therapy Session has firmly established NF as one of the faces of Christian hip hop today.
His sophomore album on Capitol CMG Label Group debuted on Billboard this week, and its numbers trump all Christian hip-hop releases this year besides Lecrae’s surprise mixtape Church Clothes 3, which sold 29,207 album-equivalent units in Week 1. Therapy Session sold 29,184.
NF’s platform grew dramatically between the releases of his freshman and sophomore LPs on Capitol CMG. Mansion, which dropped March 31, 2015, sold 10,169 units in Week 1. See how the albums’ first weeks on Billboard compare to each other below.
Therapy Session debut Billboard rankings (Mansion debut rankings in parenthesis):
- Billboard 200: No. 12 (No. 62)
- Top Albums Sales: No. 8 (No. 42)
- Digital Albums: No. 7 (No. 22)
- Rap Albums: No. 1 (No. 9)
- Top Christian Albums: No. 1 (No. 1)
These rankings are even more impressive when Prince’s effect on them is factored in. The legendary singer’s death the day before the release of Therapy Session skyrocketed his discography up the charts.
While Therapy Session‘s No. 12 spot on the Billboard 200 ties it with Church Clothes 3 for the highest ranking in Christian hip hop this year, it’s the seventh-highest non-Prince project on the chart.
Billboard 200 – Top 15 on the week of May 14, 2016:
- Beyonce – Lemonade
- Prince – The Very Best of Prince
- Prince and the Revolution – Purple Rain (Soundtrack)
- Prince – The Hits/The B-Sides
- Rihanna – ANTI
- Prince – Ultimate
- Prince – 1999
- A$AP Ferg – Always Strive and Prosper
- Chris Stapleton – Traveller
- Justin Bieber – Purpose
- Kanye West – The Life of Pablo
- NF – Therapy Session
- twenty one pilots – Blurryface
- Adele – 25
- Original Broadway Cast – Hamilton: An American Musical
Buy Therapy Session on iTunes.