Lecrae’s ‘Anomaly’ is 21st highest-selling rap album in 2015 even though it released in 2014
For the second straight year, Lecrae’s seventh studio album Anomaly was the highest-selling album in Christian hip hop, as well as one of the highest-selling rap and independent albums, according to Billboard.
“In a world where album sales continue to dwindle and majors struggle to find success, Anomaly continues to live up to its name,” industry expert Tim Trudeau, CEO of digital distribution company Syntax Creative, said. “Lecrae’s independent label has done what few majors are able to do — push a single record to endure on yearly charts for back-to-back years.”
Reach Records released Anomaly on Sept. 9, 2014. It finished 2014 ranked the 12th highest-selling rap album and ninth highest-selling independent album on Billboard’s year-end charts, which use sales data compiled by Nielsen Music.
The only other project to chart among the top 25 rap albums in 2014 and 2015 was G-Eazy’s These Things Happen, which Sony Music Entertainment’s RCA Records released, and Anomaly still outsold These Things Happen both years.
Here are this year’s top-selling rap albums, according to Billboard.
- If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late – Drake
- 2014 Forest Hills Drive – J. Cole
- To Pimp A Butterfly – Kendrick Lamar
- The Pinkprint – Nicki Minaj
- Dreams Worth More Than Money – Meek Mill
- What A Time To Be Alive – Drake & Future
- Compton – Dr. Dre
- Dark Sky Paradise – Big Sean
- DS2 – Future
- Shady XV – Various Artists
- At.Long.Last.A$AP – A$AP Rocky
- Furious 7 – Soundtrack
- The Album About Nothing – Wale
- Hood Billionaire – Rick Ross
- Sremmlife – Rae Sremmurd
- Globalization – Pitbull
- Fetty Wap – Fetty Wap
- Love Story – Yelawolf
- Touch Down 2 Cause Hell – Boosie BadAzz
- The Documentary 2 – The Game
- Anomaly – Lecrae
- These Things Happen – G-Eazy
- The Young OG Project – Fabolous
- Special Effects – Tech N9ne
- Ludaversal – Ludacris
Photo by Philip Rood