You Better Not….
You better not do the following… Put your lips on a water fountain. Have a text conversation while you drive. Microwave that funny smelling Pizza in the fridge. Mostly you better not….WASTE YOUR LIFE!!! Here are a few ways to NOT waste your life.
1. Study Jesus & The Gospel. Read and study one of the Gospels. Read your Bible!!!!
· Get into Jesus' Life, check out Matthew, Mark, Luke or John and spend time studying the life of our Savior.
"Are you really telling me to read my Bible!!!? That is so basic!!" YES!!!! I am telling you to ready your Bible. It is basic..but so many people neglect it and many other basic spiritual disciplines. Being offended is generally a warrant to truth. Check your heart and read your Bible.
2. Have breakfast everyday….
· Don't waste your mornings. Get up before 9.
· Pray, write in a journal, meditate on the book you are studying.
· Pray for other people…pray for theleaders in your life, your family, Pastor(s) others.
· Get up and expect to meet with God.
. Read a Good Book this month.
· Prov. 1:3 To receive instruction in wise behavior, Righteousness, justice and equity; Prov. 1:5 A wise man will hear and increase in learning, And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel
Proverbs is loaded with verses about learning!!!! Spend some time learning from some wise and godly men, who have written some great books to help us understand what the Bible is saying.
Here are a few books…
God is the Gospel or Dangerous Duty of Delight or Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper. All 3 of these books by John Piper have really shaped my mind and stirred my love for Christ. If you are going to pick one of these I suggest, God is the Gospel.
Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer – A look at the Character and Nature of God. A must read.
Attributes of God by A.W. Pink – If have never marveled at the LORD read this.
Humility by C.J. Mahaney. If you want to feel convicted about pride and hope to change..enjoy this one!! Really is a great book.
Valley of Vision – a collection of Puritan prayers. These will bless your soul as you read these short prayers brimming with love for Christ.
This is a book that will stir your affections for Christ and lead you to a better understanding of Christ and His word that you could love him more.
I might add John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life .
4. Get Discpled or get a Disciple..
· Get wiser people to teach you how to be like Jesus..(make sure they are like Jesus. They don't have to be older in years (that's a bonus!), but they need to be more mature than you are in the things of Christ.
· Maybe its time for you to stop absorbing info and start teaching everything you know to someone else. Find someone that you can train in godliness (on the flip side…you will need to train yourself also).
· Get in a small group. Begin to be accountable to other people in your life to stir one another for christ (Hebrews 10:24-25), bear each others burdens (Galatians 6:1-2), and confess your sin (James 5:16, 1 John 1:9).
. Share the Gospel with someone…
· Great way to not waste your life!!! Invite other people to come to Jesus.
· 1 Peter 2:9 says that we have been made Christians to " so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light" , when you go on vacation, be aware of your surroundings and God leading you to share..
· Pray for Awareness and boldness not opportunities. Praying for opportunities is like praying for there to be oxygen….oxygen is there and so are opportunities!!! What you need to pray for boldness and awareness.
Really want to be refreshed, share the Gospel and see the Spirit save a Soul…that will change you.
· If it's not too late, go on a mission trip.
. War with your sin.
· Read Romans 6 and 8. Actually begin to attack a sin that you are battling (Hebrews 12).
· Kill your sin…Take radical measures to murder your sin and get rid of it. Don't let this year be like all of the others, confront and war with your sin. Pray for the Spirit's power to confront it.
. Serve in your Church or Go to Church!!!
· don't be a leech….while you are home.
· Figure out how you can serve the people in your church and help out your leaders…ask how you can serve, or clean, or babysit for pastors or whatever. Determine how you can help. (Psalm 100:2)
Or Maybe it is time that you actually join a local fellowship/church if you call yourself a Christian. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
8. Don't waste your money. It's God's money for you to steward over. You are an investor.
· Give some of your money, to either your church, or a ministry you like..Make sure whatever ministry or aid work you give to is about making Jesus known, not just meeting temporal needs. Give to one that does both.
· Remember that your money doesn't end with you. God didn't give you money so you could buy trinkets and toys this. He gave us money, so that we could show that we treasure Christ, that God is our God and that money is not. (2 Cor. 9:7, Matt. 6:21)
9. Pray for other people.
Just pray. Spend some time thinking about other people and praying for them. When we begin to see that we are not the center of the universe, but Christ is, our lives begin to find the rhythm that they were meant to have. A great way to move from being selfish is to pray for other people. Great way to start is by asking people how you can pray for them.
Philippians 2: 3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; 4 do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.